Community Based Services of Bremer County offers quality services that promote the development of abilities and successful community living to individuals and families with special needs. We are committed to giving participants opportunities and choices to reach their goals.
Statement of Purpose
Community Based Services is a charitable, non-sectarian, county-owned organization operating to serve Bremer County. Our direct service program can serve individuals from any geographic area. It is the mission of Community Based Services to provide opportunities for people with disabilities to be actively involved in determining where and how they live, work and participate in the community.
The principal objectives of the agency are to promote the general welfare of persons with developmental or persistent mental illness through choice and empowerment without regard to race, color, creed, sex, age, type or degree of disability, extent and place of habitat.
Supported Community Living
Community Based Services provides Supporting Living Services within the individuals home and community according to the needs and choices of the individual. The basic components of the service include, but are not limited to: academic services, advocacy services, community skills training, personal environmental support services, transportation services and treatment services.
Community Based Services provides Supported Employment Services to assist in providing individuals with competitive work in an integrated work setting with on-going support services provided through a "job coach". Typically the service is provided to individuals in which competitive employment has not traditionally occurred or has been interrupted or intermittent as a result of severe disabilities. The service includes development of work goals and interests, assistance in job applications and resumes, job development, job training in the work setting and on-going supports as needed and determined by the employer and employee.
Supports are offered to persons who:
- Are at least 18 years of age or transitioning into adult services.
- Are diagnosed with an impairment which interferes with their independent
- living or working in the community.
- Non-violent or controlled through medication and supports.
- Choose to receive the services.
- Have a physician's release if diagnosed with and easily transmitted chronic infection.
- Will benefit from the services.
- Are funded for the services.
Community Based Services provides individuals with the opportunity to determine their goals through "Person Centered Planning". This process will assist in maximizing the choices and empowering those served with control over the services they are provided.
- Upon initiation of service, individuals are assigned a "Service Coordinator" to assist in the planning and implementation of services.
- After 30 days of services, individuals determine their "team" and then meets to discuss the individual's goals and how the team can assist in supporting those goals.
- Team meetings are usually every year or more often if needed.
403 3RD ST SE
Waverly, IA 50677
Phone (319) 352-2990
Fax (319) 352-2997